My response to the shooting today in Connecticut:
1. Horrified / crying out at the / universe.
2. I’m speechless / but horror must spill / into words.
3. I’m so horrified / I scream at the universe! / What else can I do?
4. I ask why / there are no answers / which make sense.
5. Forgive us / for that of which we’re / capable.
6. No more proof / that demons exist / is needed.
7. They walk among us / demons appearing human / awaiting release.
8. Another horror / no less horrific though it’s / not the first or last.
9. Immediately / I needed to hear the sounds / of my own child’s voice.
10. Just when you thought / you could not bear more bad news / you find that you must.
11. There’s not enough wine / to drown all sorrows, demons / of humanity.
12. Ashamed of humans / we keep creating horror / of such magnitude!
13. I am so saddened / horrified but determined / to fight for what’s right.*
*The last one (#13.) was actually written on 1/8/11 after the shooting of Gabby Giffords and 16 (?) other people in Arizona by a madman/zealot/gunman…